Short-listing secrets

Writing your own resume? Here’s some inside tips

I’ve put in one blog 70 per cent of what you need to do to get your resume noticed by recruiters and employers. The other 30 per cent, alas, you’ll have to pay for.

Keep it simple. A simple format is easier for text programs to screen and easier for recruiters to read.

Use a basic font. The best font to use is a simple font such as Times New Roman, Arial or Calibri. Be sure to use a font size that’s readable – 10 to 12 points works best. Use bold and italics to highlight job titles and employers.

Use bullets. Less is more when it comes to words on a resume. Use brief action-oriented sentences that describe your role at each employer. Here’s a list from Alison Doyle, an American CV writer, of the top words to include (and to leave off) your resume.

Make sure you meet the qualifications. Qualifications for being considered are usually listed at the bottom of the job ad. Make sure you have at least the minimum required qualifications to be considered. Otherwise, you’re wasting your time.

Customise your resume. Don’t send the same generic resume in for every job. Take the time to customize it by including the qualifications and skills the company is looking for (see below) so the employer knows you have the right stuff.

Focus on your accomplishments. The employer wants to know what you accomplished, not just what you did. Focus your resume on what you achieved in each job, not your job responsibilities.

Include your most relevant skills. Include keywords on your resume that match the job-specific skills the employer is seeking. You can find the skills and attributes the employer is looking for in the job posting.

Make sure your resume matches the job posting. The closer a match your resume is to the job qualifications, the better your chance of getting selected for an interview. Make a list of the qualifications the employer wants, and then be sure to include as many as possible in your resume.

Getting hired is a numbers game. Employers like to see quantifiable achievements on resumes. Include numbers wherever possible and use numbers not words when you’re listing them. For example, write 30% not thirty percent. Here’s how to include numbers on your resume.

Get rid of old jobs. You don’t need to include all your work experience on your resume. If you have a lengthy work history, ten years is plenty. You may be required to list them all on job applications, but your resume is a synopsis of your employment history, not your life story.

Get rid of non-essential information. Your resume is professional, not personal. You should not include information about your personal life, family or hobbies or anything else not related to work.

Add information. If your resume is light on paid full-time work experience that qualifies you for the job, it’s fine to add internships, part-time jobs, and volunteer experience.

Add a summary. A brief eye-catching summary is a great way to grab the reader’s attention. Be sure that it focuses on what you can offer the employer, not on what you want from a job.

Match your resume to LinkedIn. It’s a good idea to include the URL of your LinkedIn profile on your resume. It’s even better if you personalize your LinkedIn URL, so it includes your name. Do take the time to make sure your resume matches your LinkedIn profile because employers will check.

Check for typos. Don’t think a spelling or grammatical error won’t get picked up. Unfortunately, the mistake will jump right off the page and get noticed.

Save it as a PDF. If you save your resume as a PDF, you won’t have to worry about funky formatting or the recruiter seeing a garbled mess. Unless the employer requires a different format, send a PDF so readers can view your resume exactly as you want it to look.

Add a cover letter. Add a short cover letter as its the best way to highlight the specific qualifications you have for the job. You can use your cover letter to focus on the experience that best suits you for the job. Here’s how to write a cover letter for a resume.

Use a connection. Getting your resume into the hands of the right person can help you get an interview. Your goal is to get your resume read and knowing someone who can help that happen will make a big difference in the outcome of your application.

Put your best foot forward

Malcolm builds expert resumes, cover letters and LinkedIn profiles, which unleash an unbeatable business case to promote you as a ‘must have’ asset to an employer.